[Win32] VM update (3.2 release candidate)

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Tue May 7 16:38:31 UTC 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, John M McIntosh wrote:

> >#if defined(__i386__)
> ># define IP_REG asm("%esi")
> ># define SP_REG asm("%edi")
> ># define CB_REG /* asm("%ebx") ; avoid undue register pressure */
> >#endif
>
> Ok, it seems I don't have your latest gnuify awk script.
>
> However what about the comment about CB_REG not being set and that is
> impacting performance?

Like I said the other day: It's impacting *correctness*.

Some versions of 386 gcc cannot cope with three explicit reg vars in
interpret().  They abort with an internal error along the lines "cannot
find a register to spill".  It's only certain compilers and only certain
versions of interp.c that cause trouble.  If it were not for the latter I
would almost certainly have made it conditional on gcc's version number.

> Also it seems the windows port uses a
> different set of defines for gnuify?

Which ones?  They look the same to me.  (Unless SF is not the place to
look for authoritative VM source code these days??)

Regards,

Ian