[ENH][RFI] Pluggable menus

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue May 7 18:10:40 UTC 2002

On Thursday 02 May 2002 06:43 pm, Rob Withers wrote:
> Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> > Here are some RFI's (Requests For Implementation) that I've been
> > jotting down over the last several months.
>
> One item that I have thought of for some time is..
>
> * pluggable world/open menus
>   Any class or piece of code should be able to add menu items to
> these menus.  They could be scoped to projects or truly global.
> The most direct solution may be to add ivars (properties) to the
> WorldState to hold this list of menu items.  Each menu item could
> have a weight, which would be used to position them in the list.
>
> Robert

I wrote and posted the enclosed change set for 3.0 and have updated it
for 3.2g.

It provides a registry for menu items.

No one commented on it when I posted it (as I recall), so I assumed
that there wasn't any interest.

I think another possibility is to use MethodWrappers for this kind of
patching.

Either way, without major re-thinking of the menu API, it can be
rather ugly.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com