[Modules] unloading difficulties...

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Tue May 7 22:09:39 UTC 2002

[snipping]
Bergel Alexandre <bergel at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> But this seems to work pretty well :
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> (Module @ #(Your Old Module)) moveName: #YourClass toModule: (Module @ #(Your New Module))
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Yup, that's what I wound up doing too.

> > Q3: When might it not work? what might be the bad effects?
> > I accepted, it worked, the class disappeared. In the ModuleExplorer,
> > however, the entry was still there, with the following printString:
> > '#(''stray-Module'' ''bad parent, #2857'')'. It still has it's neighbour
> > refs, the other variables are emptied.
> This happens when you unload a parent module, and ask a path on a child module.
That appeared as the path of the same module I had unloaded, not it's
child. Can you recreate this from the steps I wrote down/tell me what I
need to do to unload
Module @ #(#Squeak #Network #Applications #MailReader #MailNotifier) ?

> > The current documentation gives enough directions I could start, but it
> > doesn't spell all of this out, and it doesn't include all the code
> > snippets needed. We don't yet have GUI tools to do the work, but the
> > code itself allows the work to be done, if you know the invocations, so
> > step-by-step isntructions + all the snippets could let people work on
> > this easily.
>
> there is what I have done with ModuleTool, but I have to fix some bug...
Looks very friendly for the storing/retrieving, my current focus is more
on the actual refactoring work itself... would be great to have such a
nice GUI for moving classes between modules and such.