Backspace vs. Del

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 8 03:13:30 UTC 2002

	Actually it's more complicated than that.  127 is actually the correct
	mapping for backspace.  8 is the misconfiguration.  So the correct thing
	to do is to map X's 127 to Squeak's 8.  Now, delete doesn't even have an
	ASCII character at all.  So you might as well let 8 also map to 8.

This is confusing.
    The ASCII character called "backspace (BS)" has code 8.
    The ASCII character called "delete (DEL)" has code 127.
    On older keyboards, the mappings (backspace key -> 8) and
    (delete key -> 127) were hard-wired.
On one of my keyboards, the fat key at the top right is labelled
"Back space" and sends code 8.  On another, the same key is labelled
"Delete" and sends code 127.  They both have a stupid little
(insert;home;page up/del;end;page down) block of keys most of which
seem to do nothing.  On one of them, Del sends code 127, on the other,
guess what it sends?

Thanks to the keyboard _mess_ (at least I don't have to cope with one
of those misbegotten keyboards with another key between Shift and Z),
there is no one right mapping for Squeak to adopt.

In particular, you CAN'T leave it up to the X mapping, because in some
editors/terminal emulators BOTH backspace (8) and delete (127) delete
the character to the left of the cursor, so a mapping that suits such
a program may not suit Squeak.  I'm afraid which-does-what has to be
something like a Preference.

	Consider thingcs like up-arrow, which have no
	possible ASCII mapping anyway.

Well, there _is_ an ECMA/ISO standard for the C1 controls (you know,
where Microsoft put quotation marks and extra letters), and
"reverse line feed" (RI, code 8R215) seems like a good mapping for
up-arrow to me.  (:-)