[biosqueak] The extent of BioSqueak?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed May 8 14:18:17 UTC 2002

Bruce and everyone,

As a proto-biologist/ecologist, I'm very interested in BioSqueak.  My
field isn't genetics or molecular, it's (one day, hopefully) ecology.
One of my beefs with the latest 'bioinformatics' craze is that it seems
that biology and bioinformatics = genetics, leaving out all the other
subfields of biology.  I use Squeak to analyze and visualize ecological
data, and that is within the realm of bioinformatics.  Consequently, all
the Bio* libraries only deal with this rapidly growing, but exclusive part
of biology.

What do we, those who are/will be working on biosqueak, want the extent of
BioSqueak to be?  Just genomics and proteomics?  Or do we want to have
class libraries that assist with genomics (with similar capabilities as
the other packages available) as well as other fields of biology like
phylogeny, ecology, or others?

Excuse the rambling, foggy-mindedness of this email, finals week and it's
too early. :/

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
  "civilization is a limitless multiplication of
                unnecessary necessities."                :: mark twain