[Q] Is it possible to launch a new Squeak image from Squeak?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 9 16:09:05 UTC 2002

Chris Muller <afunkyobject at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am writing a test script for a network program written in Squeak.  I want the
> script to launch additional Squeak images to participate in the test.  Can this
> be done?

It would be nice to be able to do this the proper way, just so that the
save/save-as/quit menu can be filled out with "open" and possibly "new"
(which would start from some default image).  As things stand, you must
use the OS menus, and I don't think any existing port has a menu item
for opening a new image.

Note, though, that maybe Squeak ends up using projects instead of
images.  You can't quite do it yet, because it is so easy to have
incompatibly code from different sources.  (Or then again, maybe
"isolate project" is powerful enough nowadays that it would work!
Anyone want to try? :))  If we think projects will be enough, then
beating on better file handling is superfluous.  Even "save" would be
redundant, because you'd never save the whole image.  In fact, the main
image could easily be a shared, read-only file.

-Lex