Mouse problems with Unix VM

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat May 11 14:43:53 UTC 2002

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
> I have been trying the newest Betas and CurrentPre VMs from Ian's site.
>
> The mouse buttons are acting odd.
>
> The left (red) button is bringing up the halos.
> The middle (yellow) button brings up the Personal menu or can close on
> the Xs. (when clicking on the desktop)
> The right (blue) button is bringing up the halos.

Simple answer: try  running the VM with -swapmod.

Longer answer: the default is currently that modifier key 1 is "option"
and modifier key 2 is "command".  On Linux on an Apple, this apparently
matches the "option" and "command" keys that are present.  On other
boxes, however, it is more likely that num-lock gives you "command" and
that alt gives you option.  So you could try toggling num-lock on and
off to access the command button.  :)

There is some discussion about what to do here -- clearly this causes a
bad experience for the big chunk of Linux users using a PC keyboard
instead of an Apple one.  The leading contender seems to be to remove
support for "option" at all, or at least to make it more difficult to
access.  E.g., use mod1 *and* mod2 for command, and let people use mod3
for option if they want to play with xmodmap.  Is there any reason that
"option" should be kept around?

Lex