[BUG] mail out bug report can send bad binary

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sat May 11 14:52:46 UTC 2002

Ned Konz wrote:
> I just tried to send out a bug report, but my mail server was
> rejecting it.
> I found that one of the instance variables -- a String containing
> binary junk -- contained a LF character, some NUL characters, etc.
>
> I suspect that Celeste should be more careful about what it sends out
> to make sure that it's properly encoded for RFC822.

It *is* very careful.  It's compliant with much newer RFC's for MIME,
not just RFC 822.  That's very interesting that you are seeing problems.

One possible problem I've run into is attaching things from files when
using CrLfFileStream.  Squeak code is often not careful to choose ascii
versus binary mode.  If you read a binary file in ascii mode, then odd
things can happen.

Lex