File Performance Q.?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Sat May 11 21:31:24 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh wrote:
[snip]
> I'm curious if you are reading and writing the entire chunk in one
> operation with a  standard file stream. Taking 32 seconds to do the
> read/write is excessive. I wonder if a full GC event with paging is
> going on to affect your numbers. I would have expected something < 2-3
> seconds so seeing 32 seconds has a very wrong feel to it.
>
> Maybe some other windows user can try it?

As far as I know it is read in one operation.
 >>> file1 := ReadStream on: file1 contentsOfEntireFile.
file1 is created as StandardFileStream

Isn't the write all in a single operation using 'flush'?

There is a tremendous discrepency between Squeak on Windows and Linux.
Windows PII 266 being 33 seconds (with Python at 3 seconds) and Linux
Athlon 700mhz being .23 seconds (with Python at 1 second).
I'll try my Mac later.

Jimmie Houchin