versioning

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon May 13 12:17:50 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 May 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > > Ah, well, I agree that something like StORE is very nice; however, being
> > > able to integrate with the flat-file world is very useful.  I'll be doing
> > > some work soon with a company whose work flow is currently very based
> > > around CVS, and since I'm helping them migrate to Smalltalk, I thought I'd
> > > see if I could get reasonable integration between Squeak and CVS to ease
> > > the transition.
> >
> > Just tell me if you in any way think sqcvs might be interesting - a
> > little bit more encouragement might make me throw in those hours to get
> > it working! :-)
>
> Well, I don't know - how easy is it to do branching with sqcvs?  What

Branching is just tagging. No problem, though I haven't added the tag
command yet.
But it is practially trivial IIRC.

> about merging and resolving conflicts?  If sqcvs can truly replace the

Well, could you be a bit more specific when you say "merging and
resolving conflicts"?
The merging is done by the server in CVS so...

> normal CVS client then great, but my guess is that I'm still going to be
> dependent on the traditional tools for a while.
>
> You say diffs are half done - it would be nice for me to be able to do
> something like
>
> CVS unifiedDiffForFile: 'foo' betweenRevision: 1.2 andRevision: 'HEAD'
>
> and get a stream back.  How feasible is this?

Good question! :-) It ought to be quite simple I think, I just need to
add support for the "diff" command. (When I said "diffs are half done"
that was actually referring to support for the patched response - the
server sends a unified diff instead of the whole file - a performance
thing).

Anyway, the thing to realize with the CVS pserver protocol is that all
the tricky stuff is done by the server - the client is just a "string
puppet" that keeps the files on the client in the state that the server
wants to.

> Avi

regards, Göran