Ad CelesteEmptyTrash-bp

pieber at acm.org pieber at acm.org
Sun May 12 23:21:50 UTC 2002

Fellow Celestians,

This was the first time I tried to use Celeste to mail a ChangeSet to
the list and obviously I failed. Sorry about that. The result was that I
sent the message twice but both times without the following explanation:

I had the following problem with deleting duplicate messages. 'Find
duplicates' files all duplicates in a special category but does not
remove them from other categories. 'Delete all' files them in the trash
and removes them from the .duplicates. category. However, empty trash
only deletes those messages which are *only* in the trash and not in
other categories. So I could not delete most of my duplicate messages.
Did I miss any obvious way to do that?

One solution to the problem would be that 'find duplicates' removes all
duplicate messages from all other categories they happen to be in.
However, I changed Celeste.emptyTrash so that it asks the user if
messages which are also in other categories should be deleted anyway. I
think this is a more useful behavior. What do you think?

Bernhard

P.S. In case someone is interested in the problems I had with my first
mail from Celeste...

When I had put together my ChangeSet I selected 'mail to list' from the
menu. A SystemWindow titled 'Mister Postman' opened with a new message
with my ChangeSet as an attachment. I typed in the above explanation
(for the first time) and pressed the 'send message' button. (Error No 1:
I forgot to save first.) A prompter appeared. I was supposed to enter my
time zone. I did not know if it was supposed to be relative to GMT or
something else. So I thought I'd better check and hit the cancel button.
(This was error No. 2). Oops, the window with the message was closed
also and my text was gone.

I thought the whole message had vanished and started over again. I typed
in the explanation for a second time :( and pressed 'send message'.
(Error No 3: I still had not realized that I was supposed to save
first.) After I entered the time zone relative to GMT (is that correct?)
the message window was closed and I wondered if it had been sent. I
found the menu item 'send queued messages' and did that. Now, I looked
in the .sent. category and was surprised to find that *both* messages
had been sent, one with the wrong time zone, but both *without* my text.
Grr! Only now I realized that saving might be important ;-).

So I decided to give it a last try. I typed in the explanation for a
third time :((. And if you read that I succeeded at last. :)