Unix VM still coughing sockets...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue May 14 16:23:36 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 May 2002 05:51 am, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > I still end up sometimes with Processes in #waitForDataUntil:
> > running wild on me and chewing up all the CPU. I attached a silly
> > GIF to show you that I am not hallucinating. (the reason for so
> > many of them is that the CPU watcher suspends the naughty guy and
> > asks me what to do and then another one pops up - I guess it is
> > Comanche doing it)
>
> So what's the timeout? It doesn't seem that waiting on a semaphore for
> a timeout (presumably in the multi-second range) could eat up 71% of
> the CPU. Waiting should eat precisely 0 until the timeout.

That is the problem - if you haven't followed this thread the thing is
(probably, if it's still the same problem) that the semaphore ends up
with an excessive signal so the "wait" just goes through. Voila - a
busyloop.

> Perhaps there's a problem with the CPUWatcher. I'll take a look at it
> today.

I don't think the CPUWatcher is the problem. This is exactly the problem
Ian "fixed" and sure - it doesn't happen that often now - but it still
happens (in his newest 3.1beta that is, funny enough not in one of the
interim VMs).

> Do you see the system (OS) CPU usage being high as well?

Haven't checked but I think so - oh, yes - KDEs "CPU guard" kicked in so
it did notice it too.

I think this one is best left to Ian - he has been digging this through
A LOT and did rewrite most of the aio in the process... :-)

regards, Göran