gettimeofday() revisited

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue May 14 19:56:33 UTC 2002

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> said:
>You might want to try a pthread implementation too. I'm not sure
>about the impact of the sig alarm on system calls and how good the
>error checking is for that condition thruout the unix vm.

I'll probably rather solve the problem once and for all by creating a
memory-based implementation of gettimeofday. Shouldn't be too hard, and it's
reasonably easy to redirect system calls under Linux to your own
implementations (a module in the kernel and a custom lib in userspace). Just
have to scrape the rust of my Linux kernel hacking (my last patch to the
kernel is probably dated '93 ;-))...

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>