processors and FP (was: OQO)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu May 16 04:37:47 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:
>
> > Aaron J Reichow wrote:

> > > Pffffft.  I thought it first.
> > Nonsense. _I_ thought of it first :-) I even worked on a Smalltalk
> > powered ARM based version in 1989!
>
> Wow!  Can I have it?  I bet it's just collecting dust in your closet!
I wish- I last visited the Active Book Comany a couple of days before
they were bought by GO (remember that apalling 'PenPoint' junk?) and
closed down. I so nearly grabbed one of the final-beta units as I left
but thought I'd leave it til the next visit when some small improvements
were due. :-(

Then again, as various people have seen, I _do_ have one of the
StrongARM based Squeak machines left over from my stint at Interval
Research. Not very useful I'm afraid since I have no support system to
be able to do any developmet on it. Still works ok though.

The LART is an interesting little card, but rather expensive if you want
to buy one There is a pointer to AlephOne somewhere on their webpage and
they can sell you one for some ludicrous price like $900. They won't
even drop the proice for me and I know the founders!

There are quite a few pda type devices available with ARMs of various
sorts. Perhaps the nicest hardware comes from Siemens but it has wince
on it and cost ~$900. EarthLCD.com sell a nice little ARM7 card along
with a LCD panel for $300 including a full set of linux/gnu tools.
Several people are selling XScale development boards for prices ranging
from ouch to good-grief. Somebody (can't recall who) is selling a nice
box with an 800MHz XScale, loadsram, big disc, cd, dual gbit ether etc
(but no damned display!).

We can easily produce a niceSqueak machine if only somebody will provide
some sensible money to support developers during the work. If you're
serious, contact me.

tim