[OT]Ultra SPARC prices, and Squeak on SPARC?

Yanni Jew yanni at rogers.com
Thu May 16 11:03:02 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

> This is off topic. I just got an offer for two more or less new Ultra
> SPARC IIe workstation (8Gb Ultra-ATA disk, 128Mb RAM, 32xcd, Rage Pro)
> And... does it run Linux/Squeak good? I assume Linux is good for it -
> would I face any obvious problems getting Squeak running on that? ;-)

A while back, I ran Linux/Squeak on a SPARC-20 (~50MHz SuperSPARC),
and got about the same, or slightly worse, micro-benchmark score compared
to a Pentium 180. Since the box is headless, I had to run it remotely
over X11, and the screen re-draw was just barely tolerable.

RedHat no longer provides a pre-compiled version for SPARCs, that
I could easily find on their site. I've been meaning to switch the
machine over to some BSD variant, which I hear is more finely tuned
for SPARC than is Linux.

--yanni