[SqF][Modules] IMPORTANT: Progress report and changes

stephane ducasse (home) ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat May 18 16:47:16 UTC 2002

Hi Henrik

I understand your point of view. But I still think that modules are really
important. Because else Squeak will be never be a real open source project
because of the monolithic image syndrom and integration process.

I have the impression that part of the problem is that we started to get
confused with deltamodules and the reference model.  May be modules with
scoping was too ambitious and having a first step as packages was needed.
I do not believe that if enough people would have joined this would have
been a problem.

I have the impression that simple tools are missing to support the process
because what I can tell you is that I ***really*** tried to understand
modules and the explorer open on root was not enough to get it.

Here Alex is working on saving modules as imageSeg (but this is true that
alex started to really know Smalltalk in January). We will organize a new
SqueakNick dedicaced to Modules. But sometimes we do not have enough
knowledge of Squeak to really take decision. Working in the dark is not
easy.

So