About Zurgle

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Sun May 19 21:54:49 UTC 2002

Stef,

> This looks really good. Really.

Thanks

> Now I was wondering what are the changes (refactorings) you made that
> could be retrofitted in the base image. Apparently SystemWindow was fat :)
> ?

In overview, I didn't really make very many changes that should be
integrated back into the image. I did one major refactoring of SystemWindow
which I submitted to the list last year:

http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/1685.html

which basically factored out all of the window frame stuff into a separate
class (abstract class AbstractWindowFrame; concrete class
SqueakWindowFrame). I don't think SystemWindow was fat, it's just there is
an advantage to having the window frame be separate from the window itself.
This refactoring allows a lot easier manipulation of different interface
elements. For example, you can add menu bars, tool bars, and status bars to
the window frame without having to extend SystemWindow.

I added the 'Stretch background' which stretches a desktop background
picture to fill the Squeak desktop, which I also submitted to the list which
hasn't been incorporated.

Most of the small stuff that would benefit the image I submitted to the list
for inclusion, but there weren't that many.

Unfortunately my "fixes" to window resizing and such are window frame
dependent, so they don't carry over to the stock image. Most of the rest of
the Zurgle code base just wiggles into the image and tries to intercept
things at an appropriate spot. In retrospect, I probably would have been
much more aggressive in just rewriting everything to work the way that I
wanted, but ...

To do this all "correctly", you would probably do something like Cincom does
with look and feels managers for duplicating specific interface elements for
different platform support. However, that was beyond the scope of work that
I was comfortable with.

Jim