About Zurgle

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Tue May 21 00:04:15 UTC 2002

Jim,

> This is a rather strange thread.

What's strange about discussing whether some of your stuff should be fed
back into base Squeak or not?! And ...

> Conceptually, the Zurgle project is intellectual fluff. There
> is really no value there.

... I think it was your answer in response to Stephane's query that
actually started it - if you would've said the above to begin with, this
thread wouldn't even be going on ;-)

> For me, it's important that 3.2 ships sometime soon, rather
> than grafting bits and pieces of code here and there.

Inclusion for 3.2 was _never_ under discussion. I don't know where you
got this impression from. Stephane asked whether some parts might be
worthwhile to feed back into mainstream Squeak, you mentioned the window
frame refactoring, I looked at it and found the duplication of various
aspects dubios. So I asked if you were in to do a bit more radical work.
If you don't want to just say so. All I'm trying to do here is to be a
good citizen and give my $.02 since Stephane specifically asked for my
opinion. Well you got it ;-)

> Going forward, in the modular image age, the whole Zurgle
> project is simply another module that you call into your image.

Well, if that's your bottom line, it's fine with me. It actually spares
me some work ;-)

Cheers,
  - Andreas