Unix VM still coughing sockets...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue May 21 22:23:08 UTC 2002

At 11:21 PM +0200 5/21/02, Ian Piumarta wrote:
>If the above still doesn't work then I think we're going to have to
>"get violent" and make primSockStatus check explicitly for remote
>close (which would immediately answer "false" to isConnected at [5]
>and in the controlling expression of the waitForDataUntil loop) even
>though (i) it implies a (nontrivial!) syscall at every status check,
>(ii) it creates a race in waitForDataUntil, and (iii) the detection
>can be done just as well elsewhere, assuming the image behaves
>sensibly (which is maybe not such an intelligent assumption after
>all).
>
>Regards,
>Ian

Ian I think on the mac (mmm I should know this heh?) returns
OtherEndClosed via self primSocketConnectionStatus: socketHandle when
the socket is closed by the other side, thus falling thru the
[sock isConnected | sock dataAvailable] whileTrue: [...]    [5] check

The state goes to Closed once we initiate the close on our side.