[Q] Looking for "Multiple Inheritance in Smalltalk-80"

Tom tom7ca at yahoo.com
Wed May 22 00:27:13 UTC 2002

--- Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
> Reading quickly trough this, I start to wonder why Squeak does not have
> this implemented, as it seems to make the system a lot more flexible
> and powerful.

In languages like Eiffel or Java, people need MI in order to be able
to reuse objects in more circumstances; static typing would otherwise
prohibit them from doing it.

In Smalltalk, objects can present whatever interface they like without
MI.  MI would only serve the function of making implementation
reuse easier, at the cost of a more complex implementation
and more complex language semantics.  People seem to have wildly
differing opinions on whether that's worth it or not.

Tom