[Modules] Who's afraid of making modules?

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed May 22 19:51:56 UTC 2002

Stephane,

> Now during your analysis (a tool is missing here) you have to
> distinguish between the good and the bad references. The good
> references are the references to classes that are in your modules
> prerequisite chain.
>
> I think that we should be able to ask a module its prereq
> modules. This should be somewhere but I do not had the time
> to find it.

I think you got caught by some odd naming conventions. The class comment
in Module (yes there is one ;-) says:

"Dependencies
The modules in an image can be regarded as nodes in a module graph,
where each module has links (edges) to the modules it depends on; these
are its ''neighbor modules''. A module can access definitions in these
modules, and they will be loaded as prerequisites of this module. "

Thus the "neighbor modules" are the prerequisites. I got caught by that
too (as well as by "definedNames" and "exportedNames" which hold the
actual objects not just their names as I initially assumed). Perhaps we
should rename these variables accordingly (e.g., "prerequisites",
"definitions" and "exports").

Cheers,
  - Andreas