[BUG] Can't write files with Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 on MacOS X 10.1.2

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Wed May 22 16:57:52 UTC 2002

In an attempt to resolve some other mysterious problems, last night I
downloaded a fresh Squeak3.2gamma-4857.image and, while I was there,
the Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 VM (this is all on MacOS X 10.1.2).

I read some file Ins, saved the image, but could not do a file out of
my modified chgangeSet!

A little poking about showed that

	StandardFileStream new primOpen: 'foobar.cs' writable: true

returns nil, which gets propagated all the way up to
ChangeSet>>fileOut, where nil fails to understand #header.

Yes, the FilePlugin is loaded, no the disk is not full.  What is
weird is that at some earlier point I was successfully able to save
the image under a new name, and even after this failure could
checkpoint to that image file.

Using the checkpointed image, I restarted with the Squeak
3.0Alpha21MTCarbon VM, and was able to do the fileout without any
problems.   3.0Alpha21MTCarbon uses FilePlugin 30 May 2001 (i),
whereas Squeak 3.2.7Beta5 uses FilePlugin 9 May 2002 (i).

So this looks to me like a VM problem.  Has anyone else seen this?

	Andrew