MP3 and ID3v2 - Fixed!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu May 23 02:05:43 UTC 2002

Jason Dufair <jase at dufair.org> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

First of all, congratulations on finally finding the solution!

> (If the mpeg stuff is compiled into the image now anyway, why *would* it
> be referencing the dll?)
Not into the _image_. Plugins can be linked into the vm as internal
plugins BUT any external one sitting in the search path will override an
internal. This is purposely done to allow updates of a single plugin
without having to replace the entire vm. Note that we can, in fact,
replace the wheels whilst racing down the track by using 'Smalltalk
unloadModule: modname' and then allowing the system to reload the new
plugin at need. It works as long as the plugin writer doesn't do
something evil to prevent that working - things like state that can't be
restored, stuff like that.

> So the question is - where do I send the patch?  Is it too soon to ask
> for CVS access (since VorbisPlugin is next)?  Either way, please let me
> know.  This patch should be OS-agnostic, btw.
You could send it to me, or Andreas, or John McIntosh etc, or even post
it so that the bug trapper picks it up and adds it to the list to be
considered. We're not keen on adding more people to the CVS access list,
people are worried about confusion etc.

tim

Programming is an art form that fights back.