BBC Micros and cooling (was RE: gettimeofday() revisited)

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu May 23 21:10:05 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, John Hinsley wrote:
> Not directly: the problem with quiet fans seems to be that they get noisy as
> the spindles wear. Others swear by those stick on damper pads.

When it's mildly irritating I whack the cover off the box and unplug the
fan.

When I'm feeling completely p*ss*d *ff with it I jam a ballpoint pen into
the fan blades through that little circular metal grill, make "Vincent
Price" noises for 30 seconds, and thank <insert preferred deity> that "my
other car is a G4 Cube".

Not had one fire as a result yet, but I certainly have had a quieter life.

Ian