morphic slowdown

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat May 25 07:23:07 UTC 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Andreas Raab wrote:

> > Just another datapoint on Aaron's observation about 2.6
> > morphic being more responsive than more recent versions -
> > I was amazed by how much difference there was, so tried out
> > some other versions.
>
> What kind of benchmark did you use?! On what machine?!

Trivial benchmarks, observed but not timed.  How long it takes a
browser window to come up, how smoothly scrolling through a browser list
updates, delay between clicking on a category and seeing the list of
methods, etc.  The qualitative difference is striking.  I will see if I
can come up with some numbers, although I don't have a good idea of how to
automate such tests.

This is on a 1.4Ghz Athlon, under linux.

My guess is it may have to do with event handling and not display -
a possible clue is that all of the versions that feel more responsive also
have a problem where almost every keystroke is doubled.