morphic slowdown

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat May 25 12:28:27 UTC 2002

On Sat, 25 May 2002 01:02:54 -0700 (PDT) Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
>Here's the most telling thing I've come up with, trying to automate the
>act of switching classes in the browser:
>
>b := Browser new.
>Browser openBrowserView: (b openEditString: nil) label: 'System Browser'.
>(Collection allSubclasses collect:
>	[:c |
>	c methodDictionary size ->
>	(Time millisecondsToRun: [b setClass: c selector: nil])])
>		asSortedCollection

Avi,

There may be several factors that add up to the difference you see. One of them is that in 2.8, selecting a class did NOT select a method category and thus showed an empty message list. In 2.9, the '-all-' category gets selected by default and this causes the message list to be populated. Bigger classes take longer to do this.

Cheers,
Bob