Sensible dynamic menus?

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Sat May 25 14:16:14 UTC 2002

I recently post a change to make TheWorldMenu "open" submenu dynamic.
What does that mean? just that between the "web browser" entry, which is
still hardwired into TWM, and the "mvc project" entry (likewise), it
puts up the contents of a dynamic list that Celeste and IRCChat register
into.

It cuts the link from morphic to the applications, which is nice, but
the fact that IRC and Celeste are both internet apps is incidental. If
we start moving the other entries into the registry, we'll get a mess -

browser (b)
mail reader
file list
web browser
..

you get the idea. This simply depends on the load order, which is
simple, but butt-ugly and inconsistent to the user.

BTW, this is a problem we'll have to solve for many instances - the
browser list menus, the huge and evil ParagraphEditor menu, the menus
for change sets (which still have the mail to list even without Celeste,
but what if there's no sockets?)

And those also want a reasonable interaction between dynamic menus and
menus that split with "more..."

Daniel