morphic slowdown

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sat May 25 12:36:03 UTC 2002

Avi,

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Avi Bryant wrote:
> This is on a 1.4Ghz Athlon, under linux.
> My guess is it may have to do with event handling and not display

I recently (within the last two weeks) fixed various problems in sqXWin,
including some timing problems concerning event handling.  If you've a few
minutes to waste then I'd be very interested if you think there is any
change in responsiveness using my "-current" VM.

You can pick up as much or as little of what you need from:

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/3.1current/dist/
	- snapshots (as full source and Linux/386 binary distributions)

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/3.1current/bld/squeak
	- just the VM binary compiled for Linux/386

(Note that this is a [very] unstable VM.  I don't recommend you use it on
a daily basis [unless you enjoy VM debugging ;^] but I would very much
like to know if it changes anything for you w.r.t. responsiveness.)

Regards,
Ian