collaborative

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sun May 26 19:54:07 UTC 2002

Niko Schwarz <niko.schwarz at gmx.net> said:
>The local IP address should be detected properly (it says my internet IP would
>be 127.0.0.1 -- hmm, that not cool).

In addition to the comments from the others, here's TCP/IP mantra #1:

    A network interface has an IP address. A host (machine) does not.

Repeat a couple of thousand times, lighting some incense may help.

Now, for automagically connecting Squeaks to one another, this is a bit
troublesome - if you cannot know your IP address, how do you tell your friends
where to reach you?

The best answer is: you don't. One possibility for a LAN is to send multicast
UDP packets, the receiver of the packet can ask its local IP stack for the
sender, and connect back to that address. It's almost certain that this
address is the correct address, modulo funny stuff like masquerading
firewalls, NAT, etcetera.

When you want to go over the Internet, there's no such possibility - multicast
and broadcast don't work very well. The solution would be to have a well known
location to bootstrap on. For example, we could run a Squeak image on a
publicly known IP address (or more, for availability reasons) that your image
would connect to in order to register a (publicly or semi-publicly known)
handle together with your address. A sort of central registry of Squeak people
which you could use to lookup your friends' current location in order to
contact them (not unlike the ICQ architecture).

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>