collaborative

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon May 27 16:58:44 UTC 2002

cg at cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) wrote:
> When you want to go over the Internet, there's no such possibility - multicast
> and broadcast don't work very well. The solution would be to have a well known
> location to bootstrap on. For example, we could run a Squeak image on a
> publicly known IP address (or more, for availability reasons) that your image
> would connect to in order to register a (publicly or semi-publicly known)
> handle together with your address. A sort of central registry of Squeak people
> which you could use to lookup your friends' current location in order to
> contact them (not unlike the ICQ architecture).

Georgia Tech has a long-simmering project to do just this.  The server
exists, but the badge morphs haven't been updated yet.  I'm sure someone
will post here when it gets further!

Incidentally, there was an older project floating around to actually use
Jabber, which is an open-source version of ICQ/AIM/MSN/etc.  Sadly there
was little progress to actually come to light.  It would be really neat
to tie in Squeak identification with an existing chat system.  This lets
someone else figure out how to handle passwords, and how to set up the
protocol.  Plus it would be nice to have chat clients in Squeak, anyway.
 :)  Jabber has a neat feature that you can tunnel other protocols
through it -- so a Jabber client is also a client for all of the others.
 But, alas.  The GT project is simply making a HTTP server where IP's
can be registered.

Lex