[VM] Linking and external libs

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Thu May 30 23:24:15 UTC 2002

Stephen,

I'm currently (modulo preparing a presentation for Friday [oops, that's
today ;^]) making my current VM sources 3.[23]- and VMMaker-compatible.
I'll be looking at what Lex and Co. have done with `Makefile.inc' etc. at
SF before deciding how best to proceed.  If you can let me know precisely
what you need to be linked with what (and when [and how -- e.g., just
sucking the lib into the plugin wholesale with `ld -r' would be one
possible approach ;-]) it would help a lot.

> the existing VMMaker/make scheme.  Does the existing configure/make
> system allow for this?

I hope to provide for per-plugin extensions to both `configure' (for
testing headers, libs, programs, machine characteristics, configuration
options, etc. that the "vanilla" `configure' doesn't know about but which
a plugin might need) and to the various 'Makefile's that it builds.

(All that "mkfrag" stuff in the current scheme is way to complex anyway,
and some severe zenification is definitely in order.)

Ian