SystemTracer2 (was: [updates] Nearly final 3.2)

Anthony Hannan tony.hannan at verizon.net
Thu May 30 14:39:13 UTC 2002

Dan Ingalls <Dan at SqueakLand.org> wrote:
> Does anyone know fixes to the simulator or tracer that should go in?

At
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/uploads/2119/NewSystemTracer-ajh.1.cs you will find a new SystemTracer called SystemTracer2.  I use if for converting standard images into BC images.  The changeset only adds new classes and new messages to the image so it is safe to file in.  The old SystemTracer is left untouched.  SystemTracer2 is a total refactoring making it simpler (I think) to convert/trace images.  Just execute "SystemTracer2 new writeImageFile: 'clone.image'" to trace your image, creating a new image and changes file.  To convert objects while tracing, subclass SystemTracer2 and override methods such as initSwapMapPreShutdown.  swapMap is a dictionary of existing objects to new converted object that you create.  This requires more space, but makes the tracing/converting simpler since all the objects are converted ahead of time.  There is also a hook to convert while tracing if you want.

Cheeers,
Anthony