[OT] Inquiring Minds want to know WAS: Re: Envy or Store or what?

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Nov 1 07:20:20 UTC 2002

Hi richard and all you... others! : -)
From: goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
> 	It has sort of always been a habit to put it in there. The point of it
> 	is that since a PS appears below the signing this, as Patrik already
> 	explained, clarifies that the PS was written by the same person.
>
> Postscripts are, as a rule, written by the same person who wrote the rest
> of the letter/message.  Why call out the (overwhelmingly) commonest case
> for special treatment?  It is postscripts written by someone _else_ that
> need to be flagged.  In printed material, it is customary to indicate

I was just explaining why we Swedes add this DS thing - it has simply
become customary in Swedish and obviously (after searching on Google) we
tend to be unaware that this is not something you do in English.

And again, the point is that the text is positioned below the signature
so by appending DS noone else can "steal" it by signing it afterwards.
Or something like that. It doesn't matter - it's just customary.

> material written by someone else by putting their role [Ed] or their
> initials [D.S., for example] there; so to me, putting "DS" at the end
> of a postscript could only mean that the postscript was written by someone
> with initials "DS" who HADN'T written the body of the message.
>
> In a message written in English, abbreviations other than English or
> Latin ones are bound to confuse people rather than "clarify" anything.

And I hope you realize that I do not argue that it should be used - I
just used it because I thought that it was something you should do. When
Patrik explained the "den samme" meaning I vaguely remembered it though.

> 	Another thing - what kind of mailinglist greetings do you use?
>
> As a native speaker of English, I find "greetings" out of place in
> messages sent to mailing lists.  If one _must_ have such a thing,
> what's wrong with "Dear readers" or "Dear Squeakers"?

Ah. Interesting. Perhaps I will just dump the greetings then.

[SNIP of long quite funny explanation of the word "guy"]
> 	As a homebrewed variant I have been using "Hi all!"  but it
> 	limps a bit (might be a Swedish saying).  :-)
>
> While pointless, it is at least inoffensive.

:-)

> 	After checking around it also seems that most people think it should be
> 	"PPS" as in "post post scriptum". But somewhere I saw that it could mean
> 	"post scriptum secundum". He.
>
> www.webster.com
> 	"Etymology: New Latin 'post postscriptum'.
> 	 An additional postscript."
>
> Of course, in e-mail we are at liberty to fold our postscripts back into the
> body of the text without tearing up any pages or re-penning anything...

Right. But it does indicate an afterthought which in itself is
information to the reader.
Webster ought to be correct - then PPS it shall be.

regards, Göran