[OT] Inquiring Minds want to know WAS: Re: Envy or Store or what?

Philip Metz metzp at interlog.com
Fri Nov 1 13:49:37 UTC 2002

Hi y'all!

>> As a native speaker of English, I find "greetings" out of place in
>> messages sent to mailing lists.  If one _must_ have such a thing,
>> what's wrong with "Dear readers" or "Dear Squeakers"?
>
>Ah. Interesting. Perhaps I will just dump the greetings then.

Oh no! Please don't. We *native* English speakers already have way
too much influence on the 'net. It's bad enough that we force everyone to
communicate in English. I enjoy seeing interesting expressions and
customary greetings that originate from other languages or cultures.
Your "DS" started this thread and look how interesting it is.

On the other hand, we could demand that everyone conform to one
idea of correctness in expression. Then everyone would sound the
same. That might be nice. :-P

>[SNIP of long quite funny explanation of the word "guy"]
>> 	As a homebrewed variant I have been using "Hi all!"  but it
>> 	limps a bit (might be a Swedish saying).  :-)
>>
>> While pointless, it is at least inoffensive.
>
>:-)

Or, rather, :-P.