Advice based on skimming busy threads

Bill Schwab BILLS at ANEST4.ANEST.UFL.EDU
Sat Nov 2 02:29:59 UTC 2002

Hello all,

Ok, somebody used the "f-word" - fork<g> recently, and there have
been posts that seem to suggest that modules aren't doing well.
As I read that more, I'm slowly starting to believe it, though I don't
follow the test pilot updates and so wouldn't know on my own.  I've
been busy doing various things, and my Squeak related efforts
have been aimed mostly at my unsignalled Delay problem.

When I first looked at 3.3alpha and at modules, I had two
questions: (1) how do I make and save one of these things; (2)
where's the GUI (even a poor one) for doing same.

To adapt some very good advice that I was given a few years ago,
"whatever you do, make sure somebody can save a package (or
whatever you want to call it) on their local disk in a directory of their
choosing, and later load it back into another image".  The nature of
the original advice is very off topic, but that's about how it would
read here.  It was good advice :)

Change sets are fine, but something that does not require quite so
much maintenance would be nice, as would something that
understands dependencies.  What else is necessary I'm not sure.
Squeak Map sounds like it does a lot of the right things.

It would be nice to see Squeak arrive as a small "kernel" image
and lots of packages that can be loaded as needed.  With Dolphin,
I found it helpful/necessary to write a tool I call Migrate that
decides which packages need to be loaded to build the "next
image".  The essential part of it is to semi-autmatically mine the
current image to write a script that can be filed into the new image
to load the packages in a (perhaps the) correct order.  The loader
has a GUI and there are some debugging features in it.  Whatever
system eventually partions Squeak, it should be at least tolerant of
similar tools.  The more granular the image, the more important it
is to have good tools for getting from one image to another.

I hope this helps, and appologize if I'm contributing to FUD.  If
that's the case, it's unintentional.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida