[ENH] Image Browser: for browsing code in the other .image file

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Fri Nov 1 09:06:34 UTC 2002

  PhiHo,

>     I guess this tool only works on image of the same version and with a
> change set only.

  No, no, there is nothing that depends on specifically 3.2 or even
3.x, except a line in #openSourceFilesForImage: which specifies the
.sources file name.  As long as corresponding .changes exists, it
should be possible to load V2 image onto V3 and vice versa.

  I don't quite get what you mean by "with a change set," but that the
way it works.

>     It would be nice if I can use it to browse a headless image with no
> source and change.

  Yes.

>     Is it doable ? Would you consider that as a feature request.

  If you look at the class comment of ImageBrowser, you'll find the
answer:-)

  I think it is not actually that hard.  All you have to do is to
write a modified version of InstructionStream and Decompiler which
access the bytes and bits through the interpreter simulator's #longAt:
and #fetchPointer:ofObject: and alike.  The bytecodes are just same
byte value.  The literals have to be located in the simulated image,
but it should be too hard.

-- Yoshiki

P.S.
  PhiHo, if you are going to reply my email, please include the
entire part of this message.  I still have a suspision that this one
won't go through the normal channel.  Thank you,