Morphs and Players?

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 15:04:31 UTC 2002

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:54:07, Ned Konz wrote:

>On Friday 01 November 2002 09:23 am, David Faught
>wrote:

>> I am trying to do a simple simulation based on Ned
>> Konz' ConnectorMS changeset ...

>What are you trying to script? If you describe what
>you want to do, we may be able to help you.

>I haven't (yet) added any special support for
>scripting to Connectors

I am trying to use Connectors only in a very basic
sense at this point.  The idea that I am still working
out is to build an easy-to-manipulate analytical model
(not really a simulation) of certain characteristics
of a data network.  I want to be able to plop down
morphs representing hosts, routers, and connecting
circuits and then do a few calculations to estimate
throughput rates and response times.  The estimate
calculations are fairly straightforward, but using
recursion to find the proper routing path in a more
complex model could be fun.

I guess that I'm not sure exactly what might be
scripted versus coded, I just thought that parts of
the user interface might be easier to script, whereas
the calculations are definitely easier in normal
source code.

I'm using this (first) project as a way to learn about
Squeak, after having done several of the tutorials and
played around in general for a while.  I think that
it's not TOO large a step and has some interesting
aspects (like the recursion).

I first defined subclasses of a basic morph and simple
connector (don't remember the exact names of them
right now) and then added in the instance variables
and a few methods that I wanted.  I noticed that the
simple connector has a "network" method (and a couple
of others) that returns what its connected to, but the
basic morph doesn't.  I envision defining methods for
the hosts like "host1 transferFileTo: host2 size:
6000" where host1 would then have to figure out the
path to host2 and therefore first figure out what
circuits are connected to it.  Where are the
connections stored for the basic morph?  I know that's
an unfair question since I haven't given you the
proper name of the class, sorry about that.

>I asked on the list what kind of scripting support
>would be useful for
>Connectors but didn't get any answers.

I haven't been on the list that long.  I'm pretty new
at Squeak.