arbitrary precision floats?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 4 00:17:21 UTC 2002

"Viktor" <vi.ki at worldonline.cz> wrote:
> Maybe something like this (?):
>
> [some operations] doWithPrecision: 100.
>
> Precision is thread-variable (Thread current precisionOf Floats).

Tempting, but that doesn't handle the case that you call back into
another module -- the other module will get your module's floating point
precision.  I guess we could posit yet a new kind of variable whith is
thread-specific *and* module specific....

But in stock Squeak, how about having a variable somewhere that things
in your project access whenever they start doing floating point?

    x := 1.0 withPrecision: MyProject defaultFloatPrecision.

Incidentally, I don't know that the idea of a single precision is really
going to last within a single project....  Is there really just one kind
of computation it performs?!  Different computations will want different
precisions.

Lex