Minimal images [was: Re: [ANN] Spaghetti Tracer (0.4)]

Hans-Martin Mosner hmm at heeg.de
Mon Nov 4 15:32:09 UTC 2002

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> I can imagine a source-only "image" that could be executed by a VM that did dynamic translation (into bytecodes or beyond).  This relieves the need for a compiler in the image (other than something that just adds new source to a method dictionary (or simple list!)).  I think the essence that is required of a minimal "complete" image is just enough to make the source code meaningful, not necessarily efficient.
AFAIK that's what the ObjectStudio (nee ENFIN) system did, and some others as well (GNU ST?)
In fact, for someone starting from scratch it is probably easier to write the Smalltalk compiler
in a language that's already available, so if they don't have Smalltalk to begin with,
it won't be in Smalltalk :-)

Cheers,
Hans-Martin