Minimal images [was: Re: [ANN] Spaghetti Tracer (0.4)]

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Mon Nov 4 23:17:05 UTC 2002

Dan,

> Certainly.  Back in August of 1997, I took a run at this and
> got an image that was 240k. I can send it to anyone who is
> interested (it was called "tiny.image" and I think it is on
> the UIUC server).  It had pretty much the above classes (it
> could do fileIns), and also just enough graphics to present a
> scrolling window (Class Transcripter in current Squeak) in
> which you could type, execute and print expressions.

Whoa! No, I don't remember it. Did you do anything specifically to get
down to that size e.g., removing #allUnsentMessages or so?! Part of the
extra size might be due to stuff like exception handling but it's pretty
surprising that you were able to get to this size *including* the
graphics stuff. How'd you get fonts, character scanners, bitblt, form,
color, point rectangle and the whole enchilada into that size???

Hm ... now where's that ega.bgi file when you need it...

Cheers,
  - Andreas