[ENH] Improving Win32 Font Support

Thomas A Petersen tpeterse at csc.com
Mon Nov 4 19:16:39 UTC 2002

Greetings Andreas,

I would like to thank you for all of the excellent work you have
contributed to the Squeak community.  Your work with the various VMs,
infrastructure, and fonts makes Squeak a better, more comfortable place in
the computing universe.

I would like to offer a suggestion to improve your  Win32 Native Fonts file
set on SqueakMap.  If you execute  HostFont initWin32  a second time, it
gets upset because the old Squeak fonts are not found in TextConstants.  I
added ifAbsent: [] clauses to the removeKey: calls to fix this in my image.
Here's what I did:

HostFont class

initWin32
    "..."

    " Let's don't croak on a re-execution of this method."
    TextConstants removeKey: #Atlanta ifAbsent: [].
    TextConstants removeKey: #ComicPlain ifAbsent: [].
    TextConstants removeKey: #ComicBold ifAbsent: [].
    TextConstants removeKey: #Courier ifAbsent: [].
    TextConstants removeKey: #NewYork ifAbsent: [].
    TextConstants removeKey: #Palatino ifAbsent: [].

    "..."

I am not including the entire text of the method because I drastically
changed the point size lists and mappings to suit my preferences.

I thought you might like to add this to your baseline code at SqueakMap to
make it friendlier to newer users.

May I also suggest that you drop the point sizes above 72 in your default
size lists to keep the image size from bloating too quickly.

Again, thanks for your excellent work.  I tried to do the true type thing
myself on a very part time basis over the past year and just never got this
far.  Your solution is much, much better.

I am looking forward to a brighter, happier, Squeak based universe.

Thanks again from
Tom Petersen
tpeterse at csc.com