Envy or Store or what?

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 5 04:09:56 UTC 2002

> I really like the "work model" of CVS compared to Envy ...

I have to agree with everything you said.  Envy was intended for a different
kind of work culture than CVS, the ownership structure provides a basis for
*reviewing* code prior to releasing, a means of quality control.  I wouldn't
say it was "pessimistic", however, since concurrent development is allowed.
Like Envy, merging is still a manual process with CVS, at least in Eclipse it
is, because it will leave your code uncompilable at times..

But yes, Envy's ownership struture is cumbersome for the fast-paced development
cultures today, where quality is achieved through many more smaller and shorter
iterations, and where more tools are used to help automate the cycle.

> And make the backend storage pluggable and let the first implementation use
Magma

Better let me actually *finish* Magma first.  I hope to post it before the end
of this year.

> add a nice .. and nirvana is pretty close to me.

Well, SqueakMap sure sounds like a big step in that direction!

Regards,
  Chris