Squeak License ( Re Fonts, 100% free )

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Thu Nov 7 23:37:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 05:23:26PM -0600, Daniel Joyce wrote:
> On Thursday 07 November 2002 02:19 am, Cees de Groot wrote:
> > John M McIntosh <johnmci at mac.com> said:
> > >Fonts are a non-issue search on squeak and accufonts
> >
> > Well, there's still the license referring to the fonts, even if you
> > remove the fonts themselves :-).
> >

> So use FREE FONTS.

Yes. Problem is, there is no real high-quality set of free vector-fonts
available... Maybe STIX could be interesting: http://www.stixfonts.org

1. What is the STIX Fonts Project?

The STIX Fonts Project is an effort by a group of publishers of scientific,
technical, and medical journals to create a comprehensive set of fonts that
contain essentially every character that might be needed in a technical
article published in any scientific discipline.

 3. How much will the STIX Fonts cost?

The publishers involved in the STIX Fonts Project (called the STI Pub group)
is completely funding the development of the STIX Fonts and will make the
fonts available at no cost to end users.

 4. How can I obtain the STIX Fonts?

The STIX Fonts will not be completed until some time in 2003. When they are
complete, they will be made available through the web site of each of the
STI Pub group of publishers, and probably other web sites as well. The only
condition will be agreement to the terms of a license that protects the STIX
Fonts from alteration.

5. Why will it take so long to complete the STIX Fonts Project?

The STIX Fonts will contain more than 7,700 glyphs when complete. We are
striving for the set to have a common presentation, so all of the
characters/glyphs look as if they have come from the same font. Achieving
these goals will take some time.

 12. Will the STIX Fonts work on all computers and with all software
applications?

Our goal is to make the applicability of the STIX Fonts as wide as possible.
At a minimum, the STIX Fonts will work with computers running current
versions of Windows, Macintosh, and most Unix (including Linux) operating
systems. They will work with most TEX applications, and we are working with
a range of software developers to ensure that many applications involved
with the scholarly scientific communication process will fully support the
fonts. If an application has support for Type1 (i.e., PostScript) or
OpenType fonts and support for Unicode character representations, it can use
most of the STIX characters/glyphs. If, in addition, it supports building or
rendering complex mathematical expressions using the STIX Fonts, it can be
said to fully support the STIX Fonts. As software developers make
announcements regarding STIX Fonts support, we will report them on this web
site.

 15. Will I be permitted to modify the STIX Fonts?

Yes. However, it is important that the STIX Fonts behave in the same fashion
in all applications, so if you alter the fonts you must rename the altered
font file so it will not be confused with the original STIX Fonts.

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeakland.org