Croquet speed

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 8 20:05:09 UTC 2002

I've been seeing things like that guy with the 1.9ghz Athlon and
Geforce4ti 4200 card talk about talk about how fast and smooth croquet
is.

I just dropped it on a dual 2.4GHz Xeon machine with a gig of dual
channel RDRAM (I'm not sure what that means, I just use the machine,
didn't research and buy it) with a Quadro4 700XGL video card, and
Croquet feels rather slow and sluggish.  I didn't see anyway to turn on
a FPS counter, but subjectively I'd say it was running between 12 and 18
frames per second.  Does that sound at all normal to other peoples
expectations?  This machine is running Windows 2000 Professional.

Also, I noticed when running the task manager in the background that
Croquet doesn't appear to make any use of the 2nd processor, even when
doing that large amount of data loading and conversion at the
beginning.  It seems it would make sense to thread that part of the job
at least.

--
Joshua D. Boyd