Croquet speed

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Nov 8 20:44:18 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:27:05PM -0500, Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus wrote:

> It runs a bit slower than that for me on a laptop with a GeForce4 and
> a 2GHz Pentium IV.  That seems quite in line with what you're seeing.
> When someone says "fast and smooth", they're comparing it to what they
> previously thought possible in Squeak, not to Quake 3.  Keep in mind
> that Croquet is not even in a beta state yet.

I see.  This doesn't really bode well for running it on a P2 machine
then.  I wonder where the slow up is.  When I have more time, I'll have
to play with it more.  Does anyone know, is the problem unoptimized GL,
or is the problem squeak?

> The Squeak VM current only utilizes a single processor.

I thought that might be the case, but I didn't have the time to verify.
Is anyone working on changing that?

--
Joshua D. Boyd