Croquet - some system specs for good performance

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Nov 8 20:50:58 UTC 2002

Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at squeakland.org> said:
>Yes, you are exactly right. One of the several catalysts for the
>Croquet project (started last Sept) was that graphics accellerators
>in laptops were clearly crossing the boundary into "wow". So we did
>it in anticipation that "every" new computer could and would have a
>really powerful really inexpensive accellerator.

Well, at least I now know what the "wow" demo was I saw on Andreas' laptop
earlier this year ;-)

I've downloaded Croquet at the office, and told our graphics designer (he is
the one with the fastest 3D card running Windoze) to take a hike. Even on a
meazly 550PIII, I was impressed. Bits of feedback, probably all old hat for
CrC people, but it's the only bit I can contribute at the moment:
- I had trouble clicking on 'mapped' 2D stuff, like hyperlinks;
- When navigating around, you sometime have to rely completely on spatial
  memory (window/portal position); I miss window titles (maybe they could
  appear on mouse-over?);
- I couldn't find out how to attach custom 'icons' (the image that shows up
  when a portal/window is closed), which would also have helped in navigating
  (also, maybe, displaying icons when looking at the back of windows?).

Apart from that, I'm absolutely impressed. I've been longing for years for
something like this, and I cannot wait for a released version (in the
meantime, I'm saving for a tablet PC and a WiFi AP ;-)). Except for a couple
of small glitches (I had a portal that constantly made my cursor disappear),
it seems rock solid, and I'm absolutely positively surprised with the
performance. Great job!

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo