Croquet speed

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Nov 9 00:24:07 UTC 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 03:47:55PM -0500, David A. Smith wrote:
> Remember to run in 32 bit color. This is because we utilize a stencil
> buffer for portals and most graphics cards don't seem to support this in
> hardware except in 32 bit. What happens instead is they resort to software
> rendering for anything viewed through a portal. This means that a mirror
> will render the scene once in HW and again in SW. VERY bad. Of course, the
> software engines are extremely poor - but that's not their business. I am
> looking at alternatives based upon the z-buffer.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this on a more workstation grade
setup than a Quadro4?  I wish the admin hadn't pulled all the Wildcat
cards from the lab.  I found that while games might be nicer on other
cards, the wildcats seemed to hold up better to badly optimized loads.

--
Joshua D. Boyd