Making Squeak Fly ( Was: Re: Where Squeak is Headed [was: Module discussion] )

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Nov 11 11:40:50 UTC 2002

Brian T Rice <water at tunes.org> wrote:
> I'm most definitely working on it, but in my language Slate
> (http://slate.tunes.org), which was to be presented at the BOF but missed
> its chance due to scheduling problems. I discussed it with several people,

Again, I am sorry that my presentation on SM got longer than it was
meant to be.
I didn't know we where under such a tight schedule and I also got
unaware of the time when presenting SM - I could probably have sped it
up if someone had pointed it out... Hopefully I wasn't the only one that
broke the schedule... Next year we will just need more time.

And I would also have liked to hear about Slate! It is one of the few
projects in "Squeak country" I was totally unaware of.

> however, including David Griswold and David Ungar. I've already ported the
> collection changes of interest, but not in quite the same form yet: I'm
> still evaluating the alternative final designs.

Interesting indeed.

> I'm also interested in the work by Nathaniel on traits and their
> composition, which assists in making type-ability possible.

Yes, Traits does look really promising. I talked to Nathanael and he is
aiming for a clean release for 3.2 (yes, installable from SM) sometime
around jan 2003. I hope it was "public information". Otherwise I just
put him under pressure. :-)

regards, Göran