Image factoring

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 12 03:06:07 UTC 2002

Colin Putney <colin at whistler.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I realize the "New Management" team probably isn't ready to deal with
> this stuff just yet, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling - at the
> very least it will help to identify the issues we need to address.

We are busy coming up with a "mission statement" that we all agree on.
Give us 2 days or something. :-)
(The idea being that if we have a clear proposal to the list things will
be much easier to get going)

> Some of you will remember that I was hacking on PWS at OOPSLA - that's
> done now, and I have a DVS package with the PWS code. I also have a
> change set which removes PWS from the Squeak3.2-4956 image and cleans
> up a few loose ends.

Nice!

> So where do we go from here? Some random thoughts:
>
> We'll probably have to set up some infrastructure for communally
> managing the packages that get carved out of the image. I'm not
> interested in doing further work on PWS, and I suspect this will hold
> true for many packages. For a while at least, we'll see a bunch of new
> packages created precisely because people *don't* want to use them. So
> relying on the people doing the image refactoring to maintain the
> packages they create is probably not a good idea. (Of course, I'll be
> happy to host PWS until somebody else steps up...)

Yes, one of the "duties" of the upcoming "board" has to do with
coordinating efforts.

> I'm thinking we should create a community maintainer for these packages
> on SqueakMap - something like "Squeak Community
> <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>". That will give people a place
> to turn to for help, and make it easy to identify "unmaintained"
> packages.

Sounds like a good idea.

> There was some discussion of creating package repositories recently -
> this will also be handy for community-maintained packages.

Yes, I will add an "upload" mechanism to SM for publishing stuff at
squeakfoundation.org if people finds that suitable and/or easy.

> ChangeSets don't seem to pick up the removal of class categories, so my
> change set empties out that category but doesn't remove it from the
> system. Anybody know an easy way around that?
>
> Do we want to stick to the post-to-the-list-then-harvest pattern? I've
> attached my PWS work here for those interested, I'll be happy to post
> to SqueakMap instead, or wherever the new update stream maintainers
> would prefer.

The harvest model is also definitely under discussion in our "mission
statement".

Again, please give us 2 days to agree on this "statement". Is is NOT
that we in any way intend to run things "secretly" - after the statement
we will probably move to the squeakfoundation list for all the work thus
making it all completely open. But we need to get a focused "start" in
order to make this work, otherwise we might stumble even before we are
out of the gate. :-)

Perhaps it will be faster than 2 days but that is at least the maximum.

I can also say that we are now 6 doing this: Ned Konz, me, Daniel
Vainsencher, Tim Rowledge, Doug Way and Craig Latta.

> Cheers,
>
> Colin

Cheers, Göran