Board is forming...

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 12 04:18:21 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Since people are really itching on this list to get started etc I wanted
to fill everybody in about what is going on.

As you have read on this list discussions at OOPSLA together with SqC
has led to a decision that we will try to form a "board" (Michael
Ruegers choice of word, sounds fine until someone comes up with
something as catchy as the Croqueteers ;-) that will take over the
responsibilities that SqC has had upto now.

Ned Konz, me, Doug Way, Craig Latta, Tim Rowledge and Daniel Vainsencher
are the current "members" of this board. Please don't start discussing
more names - 6 is already a bit much and we intend to rotate people
anyway so there will be plenty of chances for people to help out. That
also means that it is not the actual names that count - it is having a
board at all which is the important thing. Also note that most of the
interesting work will be performed by the community and not the board.

Please understand that we are trying real hard here to organize
something good. When writing these postings on the list it is very hard
to make sure to use the right words, make sure that people understand we
are not trying a "coup" or something - this is *all in line* with what
SqC wishes.

So the only thing we want right now is for the community to give us 48
hours to agree on something we have called a "mission statement" for the
board. We are doing this using private email off the list in order to
make sure we 6 have a solid agreement on what *we* think this board is
"all about" before we start. We will then post the mission statement on
the list and after that all work will probably be done in the open -
typically on the squeakfoundation list.

So... again. Please give us these 48 hours to come up with the
statement. I think you all will be pleased with it. :-) Also note that I
am in Sweden and Daniel is in Israel etc which makes it take a bit more
time consuming to communicate.

regards, Göran

PS. I really think this will make the Squeak community even stronger.
This OOPSLA really proved to me that even though the list was a bit
quiet for a while, the community is as strong as ever. DS